Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Fitzwilliam Town Seal
The Town of Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire
spacer
Link to Home Page
Link to Departments
Link to Education
Link to Departments
Link to Minutes
Link to Links
Selectmen's Meeting Minutes 01/14/04
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
                        January 14, 2004

Selectmen Present:  Mrs. Knight, Mrs. Silverman and Mr. Clukey

At 7:00pm, Mrs. Knight opened the meeting.

PRIMARY:


7:15pm  MEET WITH JANICE MEDOR REGARDING BUILDING ON MAP 2 LOT 5:

7:30pm  MEET WITH WARREN HALL, CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER :  Mrs. Knight stated that the board wanted to meet with Warren Hall to discuss the Code Enforcement position.  The board would like Mr. Hall to continue to come in to the office on Wednesday evenings.  Mrs. Knight would like Mr. Hall to be familiar with the Town Code.  Mrs. Knight stated that they will be having Margo give him a copy of the Planning Board and ZBA meeting agenda.  The board would like Mr. Hall       
                        to attend any meetings that may have an enforcement issue.  Mrs. Knight stated that the board is concerned with Mr. Hall bringing work home.  He stated that he has been doing the permits in the office.  Mrs. Silverman questioned Mr. Hall his feelings with regard to the position.  Mr. Hall stated that right now it is slow.  He stated that he enjoys this position.  Mrs. Silverman stated that the board would like Mr. Hall to attend any training that pertains to the job that he would like to attend.  Mr. Hall questioned if the town forsees adopting any State Codes.  Mrs. Silverman stated that she does not forsee this.  Mrs. Knight feels that we need to look into this.  Mrs. Silverman suggested Mr. Hall look into other towns of our size and what they have for codes.  
                    
                        Mrs. Knight would like Mr. Hall to let the Selectmen’s Office know if he sees any violations.            
 
7:45pm  MEET WITH BRUCE NEWTON, POLICE CHIEF
·       Discuss addition project:  They are looking at a 50’x 50’ addition
to the Public Safety Building.   Mrs. Knight questioned Chief Newton if he feels that this plan will work for his needs.  He stated that they wanted a separate room to hold a detainee. Mrs. Thompson stated that eventually the Fire Department would like to move a wall and make more garage space.  At the beginning it would be empty space.  The board would like to emphasize that any meeting space would be for the entire building, not just the fire department.  They would like this room available for all town departments.   

We will be having Honeywell do the alarm monitoring.  It would be about $600 to replace the panel at the Public Safety building.          

·       Discuss 2004 budget – personnel costs:  Chief Newton stated that he spoke with Paula with regard to his budget, he has not had a chance to review this.  He stated that he tried to keep his budget as tight as he could.  Mrs. Silverman stated that she would not like to see this budget go over again this year.  Chief Newton stated that the majority of his budget is wages.  He stated that he will review this tomorrow.  Mrs. Thompson stated that she learned from speaking with Tammy if we hold a hearing on the grants, they can be considered as unanticipated revenue, we can pay the officers for the time they spend on the details and not run it through the operating budget.  The board feels that Chief Newton needs to review his part time and overtime budget.           

Chief Newton stated that the transmission in the new cruisers is blown.  This is under warranty.    
    
                                    Mrs. Thompson questioned Chief Newton if the case log that
                                    Tom Mullins submits is public knowledge.  He stated that they
                                     are.  She stated that Mr. Parker has indicated that the Budget
                                     ommittee is looking to cut the prosecutor from the police
                                     budget.    
 
 ***    REVIEW DRAFT OF INTERPLEADER FOR TAX DEEDED PROPERTY – MAP 36 LOT 03:  Reviewed

***     REVIEW DRAFT OF VILLAGE PRECINCT DISSOLUTION PETITION:  Reviewed

***     LETTER FROM MARY GILMORE:  Mrs. Gilmore is concerned that her lot is now being assessed unbuildable and feels that we have devalued the value of the land.  Mrs. Thompson will respond.

***     NEW IRS STANDARD MILEAGE RATES:   The mileage rate if now .375.  The board will adjust the amount we reimburse employees for mileage.  

***     REVIEW LETTER OF ENGAGEMENT WITH VACHON AND CLUKAY AND SIGN:  Reviewed and signed

***     REVIEW LETTER FROM DRA REGARDING 2004 ASSESSMENT REVIEW AND SCHEDULED WORKSHOP – 1/27/04 – DECIDE ON ATTENDANCE:  Mrs. Thompson and Mrs. Knight will attend.

***     REVIEW LETTER FROM JOSEPH RUSSO:   Mr. Russo responded to our letter his tenant assures him that they are not running a boarding house at his property.

***     REVIEW AND SIGN UPDATE OF FITZWILLIAM E-911 AUTHORIZATION LETTER:  Review and signed

***     DISCUSS HAZARDOUS MITIGATION PLAN REQUIREMENT FOR MEMBERS OF NFIP AND GRANT MONEY AVAILABLE TO DEVELOP A PLAN:  Mrs. Thompson was speaking with Eric Twarg  he stated that towns in NFIP have to have a hazardous mitigation plan in place by 2004.   Southwest Region Planning Commission can help the town do this.  The cost is approximately $10,000.  There is enough grant money left to complete three or four towns.  They would like to include about eight towns in this grant, which would mean the town would need to pick up some of the funding.  Mrs. Silverman questioned if it is worth staying in this program.  Mrs. Thompson stated she feels that it is.  Anyone in the flood zone needs to purchase flood insurance, if the town does not participate, the rates are much higher.  The board would like Mrs. Thompson to find out what this plan encompasses.          

***     REMINDER:  REGIONAL SELECTMEN’S MEETING SATURDAY 1/17/04:  Mrs. Knight will attend.  

***     REVIEW AND DISCUSS AMENDMENTS TO THE TOWN HALL RENTAL/USE POLICY:
·       Review list of local organizations
·       Review “hourly” charge and terms
·       Discuss provision for private individuals/organizations
·       Discuss surcharge for “cleaning” & “heating”
·       Review #11, 12, 13, 15 regarding town hall agent
·       Discuss requirement to have police officer present for function of more than 50 people and fee paid by renter
                       The board made revisions to this policy (see attached)

                        Mrs. Silverman feels that we need to determine the use of the Town Hall by the HEDC.  Mrs. Knight is concerned that we cannot provide access for this day.  The board would like a copy of the mission statement for this group.       
             
***     REVIEW TREASURER’S MONTHLY REPORT:  Reviewed

***     UPDATE ON AUDIT AND GASB REQUIREMENTS FOR 2004 THAT WILL BE NECESSARY FOR AUDIT 1/2005:  These are regulations that make municipalities comply with regulations that businesses must adhere to.  January 1, 2004 any road repairs made will be added to our infrastructure.    We need to determine the original price for the cost of purchase of any town land.  We need to do a narrative of anything we inventory.  Mrs. Thompson feels that we should ask each department to do their own inventory when this information is needed.  

***     REVIEW COPY OF LETTER FROM PLANNING BOARD TO FILIPI:  Reviewed

***     REVIEW DOT DRIVEWAY PERMIT ON RTE 12:  Reviewed

***     2004 BUDGET – 2004 CAPITAL PROJECTS
·       Discuss draft of 2004 warrant
·       Discuss article required on warrant for changes to disabled exemption requirements and review public notice for hearing
·       Discuss/review public notice for hearing on bonds over $100,000
·       Discuss/review public notice for hearing on discontinuing the Ski Special Revenue Fund:  This has been scheduled for 02/18/04

·       Review list of capital projects for budget committee:The board will provide a list to the budget committee of possible capital projects.  They will not include a price for the addition to the pubic safety building.    
·       Discuss General Government Buildings, Executive and Code Enforcement budgets:  Mrs. Silverman feels that the Selectmen’s pay is higher than other town Selectmen.   She feels that we should reduce this amount.  She does not feel that it was a justified increase when the amount was increased on the floor of  town meeting.  Mr. Clukey stated that he does not agree.   Mr. Clukey stated that he would be willing to remove the mileage expense.  The board agreed to remove the $300 mileage expense for each Selectmen.  Mrs. Silverman feels that reducing the Selectmen’s salary would be a gesture of giving back to the town.  Mrs. Knight moved to reduce the $900 from the Selectmen’s pay for mileage.  If the budget committee questions the Selectmen salary, she would be willing to look at reducing the salary figure.  Mr. Clukey seconded, the motion passed 3-0.       

·       Discuss 2004 department budgets:
Ø       Police
Ø       Animal Control
Ø       Welfare
Ø       Cemetery
Ø       Highway
Ø       Supervisors of the checklist

·       Discuss proposed amendment to Chapter 127-39 to see if any further amendments should be made and an additional public hearing held by the planning board:  Mrs. Thompson stated she would like to remove from the construction permit to remove that a drawn to scale prepared by a professional or licensed surveyor since we don't require anyone to do this.  The Planning Board would need to hold a public hearing on this.  Mrs. Silverman feels that there could be come instances where we would want these plans prepared by a professional.  Mrs. Knight will ask the Planning Board to look at this.      


***                  Mrs. Knight would like to complete Mrs. Thompson evaluation with her within the next few days.    

SECONDARY:
·       Various committee/board minutes
·       Newsletters
·       Review Police logs/reports

SIGN:
·       Minutes
·       Correspondence
·       Payroll and Accounts Payable Manifests


There being no further business, at 10:16 PM, Mrs. Knight made a motion to adjourn.  Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0.

Submitted by:
Debbie Favreau
Administrative Assistant       
                                                                        Joan Knight, Chairman
                                                                                   Susan Silverman
                                                        Andrew Clukey
                                                        Board of Selectmen


 
spacer
13 Templeton Turnpike, PO Box 725 Fitzwilliam, NH 03447
Phone: 603.585.7723   Fax: 603.585.7744
Link to Email Subscriber
Contact Fitzwilliam