BOARD MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 5, 2008
Selectmen Present: Carmen Yon , Chmn., & Thomas Parker
Selectmen Absent: Michael Methe
Chmn. Carmen Yon opened the meeting at 7:00 pm
*** CLEAN UP OF FORMER SWEENEY PROPERTY
- OPEN BIDS: The board received the following bids
RP Construction: $2900.00 to remove the trailer, RV and boat & trailer
$1800 to remove trash
90 days start to finish
John Holman: remove the mobile home, RV’s, boat & trailer - $3750.00
Gary Chase: mobile home & camper $8500 or demolish $7700
to clean up entire site $15,000
3 weeks for completion
Mitchell Excavating: remove mobile home, RV and debris within 20’ radius start 11/10 finish 11/14
$3500 he did not include a quote for the boat & trailer.
The board will decide on this once they get a price from Mr. Cuomo with regard to the cost to the Highway
Department for the removal of trash. Mrs. Thompson will call RP Construction to get a certificate of insurance and
determine the exact time of start and finish.
- DISCUSS USE OF HIGHWAY DEPT PERSONNEL TO CLEAN UP GARBAGE: Mr. Cuomo would like to remove the trash prior to the RV’s being removed. We do have a quote for removal from one of the bids. Mr. Parker moved to find out the cost of a dumpster and find out how much Mr. Cuomo feels it will cost to remove the trash, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
*** ASSESSMENT RELATED COORESPONDENCE
- LARSON – TAX MAP 03 LOT 13: Mr. Larson is disputing his new assessment. The Board looked at this property. There is a shed dormer on the rear of the building. Vision did not have this on their assessment card. We will send a letter stating that Vision incorrectly did not include the shed dormer, this is a ¾ story. Avitar picked up piers, which reduced the assessment. Mr. Parker feels that we should delete the assessment on the lean to since the size factor seems too high. Mr. Yon disagreed, he feels that we need to speak with Gary with regard to this. Mr. Yon does not feel we should delete this since there is a structure. We can change the condition factor to reduce this.
- ANN PELKEY – TAX MAP 07 LOT 07: Reviewed
- LAFRENIERE – TAX MAP 04 LOT 42: The Lafreniere’s do not feel this lot is buildable. Carl Hagstrom looked at and agrees. Mr. Parker feels the board should look at this lot.
*** AVITAR CONTRACT: We need to send a copy to the BTLA.
*** MEET WITH MASON KLINK: Mr. Klink stated that his building contractor said the fieldstone foundation collapsed and
couldn’t be repaired. He proposed turning the building around and moving this to the left. Mr. Parker questioned the work
being done in the field. Mr. Klink stated that he is landscaping. Mr. Parker stated that if this is made a part of his lawn it is not
eligible for current use. Mr. Parker moved to amend the building permit to incorporate the revised location, the motion was
seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
*** EMAIL FROM KORJEFF REGARDING LAKE ASSOCIATION SIGN, HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE: We have no knowledge
of the sign. We will send a letter to the Korjeffs stating that the Highway Department would not take down a sign. To our
knowledge the tree trimming was in the right of way. If they cleaned further then the right of way we apologize. We need to
trim brush on town roads for safety purposes.
*** EMAIL FROM CARROLL AND EATON: The police department is handling this as best as they can. LGC suggested we
send a letter stating this appears to be a police issue, it doesn’t appear that any town ordinances are being violated.
*** BTLA SCHEDULED HEARING FROM VETERANS HOMESTEAD: January 22, 2009. We have a legal opinion from Bill
Chapman. Mr. Yon feels that we should have Bill Chapman represent the town on this case. Mr. Parker moved to send a
copy of Bill Chapman’s letter to Gary at Avitar for review. Mr. Parker would like to speak with Jim Bassett at Orr & Reno with
regard to the preliminary meeting with Broken Stone. Mrs. Thompson will try to schedule a meeting on Monday with Orr &
Reno and also with Sandra Rourke at DRA to set the tax rate.
*** COPY OF LETTER SENT TO BTLA FROM TERAS: They are stating that they have two separate issues. We will wait to
see what the BTLA determines.
*** EQUALIZATION SURVEY DUE DECEMBER 17, 2008: Mrs. Thompson will be working on this.
- AVITAR: Mr. Parker moved to approve we will hold off paying on software until 1/1/09, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0. We will pay this year if there is money in the budget.
- DILUZIO: Mr. Parker moved to pay, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
- GRAZ ENGINEERING: Mr. Parker moved to pay, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
*** ADDITIONAL INFO FROM AVITAR REQUESTED BY DRA:
*** PUBLIC HEARING SCHEDULED ACCEPT POLICE LAPTOPS 11/19/08 AT 9:00 AM: Reviewed
*** FILING FROM HOPOCK & LACHMAN : Reviewed
*** BUILDING PERMITS
- Map 13, Lot 04-01: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
- Map 11, Lot 54: Mr. Parker moved to deny, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
- Map 03, Lot 31-03: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
- Map 09, Lot 15: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0. According to the Code Enforcement Officer, the need to get a permit for an existing gazebo which they did not apply for a permit for.
- Map 06, Lot 02-03: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0.
- Map15, Lot 38-01: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0
- Map 03, Lot 37: Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, the motion passed 2-0
*** OFFICE ORGANIZATION: Mr. Yon stated that the board would like to recommend that the files for the board review should
be organized. He feels that there should be a priority item file, a secondary file, signature file, and police file.
Mr. Parker would like to change the ways complaints with regarding assessments are handled. He would like a copy of card
made with a brief description of the complaint. The board would like to review the card prior to being sent to Gary at Avitar.
Mr. Parker would like to make sure that Mrs. Thompson’s email be looked at when she is not here.
*** REVIEW ACTION ITEMS: Mr. Yon would like to review at the end of each meeting who is going to do items from the meeting
and when they should be completed.
Tonight: contact RP Construction on removal at Templeton Turnpike
Larson lean to
Board visit Lafreniere property
Letter to Korjefs and Carol
Schedule meeting with Orr & Reno and DRA
Edwards gazebo permit
Time line for foreclosed property.
Follow up on audit of Town Clerk
Police Chief request for policy on Special Details
*** BUDGETS: Mr. Parker reviewed expense reports. He is concerned with the Cemetery Department. He would like a
copy sent to each commissioner with regard to this. A letter stating that there will be no approval for over expenditure of
the budget. The second department is Recreation. Mr. Parker would like to send a letter to each commissioner and
Kathy Stark stating that this budget is low. We have asked for the cost of each program that Recreation runs.
*** Mr. Parker met with Gene Cuomo, Gus Laurendo and Steve Gray to view Fullam Hill Road. From Rt 119 in a mile it is
very broken up. This needs to be ground and leveled with gravel, replace culverts and ditch, then resurface. The rest is
in pretty good shape, we can seal, shim and resurface. Mr. Gray will work on pricing for this repair. The first section
needs to be done at one time. They also discussed DES and their actions with the Highway Department. Mr. Yon
questioned if we should ask LGC to get involved in this issue.
*** MCGARRY PROPERTY: We will send a letter to Mr. McGarry to contact us to see what he is doing with regard to this
property. There is a specific process if the town orders him to remove the building.
*** EXEMPTIONS: Mr. Yon would like to send a letter to anyone with an exemption listing the asset and income limits.
Mrs. Thompson will type a draft of this letter. We will put note of this in the newsletter.
*** BTLA: Gary from Avitar is making a list of qualified sales. Mrs. Thompson needs to make a list of all abatements.
*** When the office is closed, the board does not feel that customers should be in the office. Mr. Yon feels this should include
*** DEPUTY TREASURER: Mrs. Thompson stated that the Deputy Treasurer is working about once a month. We have
never had a pay structure for the Deputy. The average pay for the Treasurer is $4000-$5000 for towns our size we pay
$3000 to the treasurer. Mr. Parker feels we should consider a $500 stipend for the Deputy The board will discuss this
at a later date.
- Payroll and Accounts Payable Manifests
There being no further business at 9:00 PM Mr. Yon moved to adjourn, the motion was seconded by Mr. Parker, the motion passed 2-0
Carmen Yon, Chmn.