BOARD MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 25, 2008
Selectmen Present: Carmen Yon , Chmn., Michael Methe & Thomas Parker
Chairman Carmen Yon opened the meeting at 9:00 AM
10:00 MEET WITH CEMETERY COMMISSIONERS AND SEXTON
- 2009 BUDGET: Mr. Grab stated that they have not budgeted any extra hours, just a COLA raise. They are reducing Labor Contracted Services by $800.00. This year they spent money on tree work . The board stated that they have about $1700.00 left in their budget as of the end of this week. Mr. Yon stated that they submitted a requisition for hard pack. The Commissioners stated that they have decided to wait until next spring to purchase this. Mr. Parker questioned when we close the cemetery for burials. Art Libby stated December 1. He stated that he does try to accommodate people if weather permits.
- REQUISITION FOR CHAIN: Mr. Yon stated that labor to install this would need to be included in this cost. Mr. Grab stated that they plan to install this in the spring.
- CEMETERY TRUCK: Mr. Parker questioned how many miles they put on the truck each year. Mr. Libby stated about 2000 to 3000 miles a year. Mr. Grab stated that there is a lot of rust on the truck.
- CHECK FROM THERESA FOURNIER: Mr. Yon stated that we received a check from Mrs. Fournier for the removal of shrubs from a grave site. Mr. Libby stated that the commissioners discussed what a reasonable price for this work was and this is the figure they came up with. Mr. Yon feels that there needs to be a policy from the Commissioners with regard to what they are charging for this type of work. The commissioners stated that they have submitted this. The board confirmed this.
- BILL SPREADING LOAM: Mr. Yon stated that we need a copy of the certificate of insurance for Ed Mattson. Mr. Yon stated that the board feels there is a conflict of interest having a cemetery commissioner do this work. Mr. Libby stated that he operated Mr. Mattson’s tractor for some of this project and then Greg Mattson operated this for some of the project. Mr. Methe stated that in the future he would donate the use of his tractor and york rake.
Mr. Methe suggested the commissioners speak with John Luopa with regard to further stone wall work. Mr. Methe feels that he may be able to get the stone donated.
10:30 MEET WITH HEIDI WOOD, TOWN CLERK
- 2009 BUDGET: Mr. Yon stated that the board reviewed this at the budget meeting. Mrs. Thompson questioned if the archiving project is complete. Mrs. Wood stated she thinks there are about 5 books left to complete. Mrs. Wood stated that she could possibly cut her hours to 22. This would be doing a minimum amount of work. Mr. Parker stated that the board needs her to submit a budget that will get the job done correctly.
11:00 MEET WITH JACK DUGAN AND JOHN TOMMILA: Mr. Dugan canceled this meeting.
*** DISCUSS HIRING OF STEVE GRAY: Mr. Parker stated that when he hired Mr. Gray he indicated that he would prefer to be
paid on an hourly basis. He charges $50.00 an hour as an employee, $100.00 an hour as a contractor. He will submit a plan
of the entire road project. Mr. Parker stated that this is enough information to hire a contractor to do the work. He only
comes up with the plan. He does not supervise the actual project. Mr. Parker stated that he estimated 30 - 40 hours. Mr.
Methe moved to pay Mr. Gray as an employee with a cap of 40 hours. A letter will be sent stating the board has approved to
pay at $50.00 an hour with a cap of 40 hours per his original discussion, the motion was seconded by Mr. Yon, Mr. Parker
*** HAZARDOUS AND UNSAFE BUILDING – TAX MAP 27 LOT 06: Mr. Yon moved to send a letter to the landowner with 30
days to remove, the motion was seconded by Mr. Methe, the motion passed 3-0.
*** INVOICE FROM JOHN HOLMAN: Mr. Parker moved to pay, the motion was seconded by Mr. Methe, the motion was passed
3-0. Mr. Parker stated that he did a very good job. We will notify Mr. Parks that we will be following sale procedure in the
spring on this property. He may want to speak with the Board with regard to clearing the deed.
*** OPINION FROM BILL CHAPMAN: Reviewed. The board would like to schedule a meeting with Leslie Lightfoot. Mr. Parker
feels that we should request a Pilot Program in lieu of taxes. Mr. Parker feels that they should compensate the town for the
services they receive, police, fire, etc. The board will schedule a meeting with Ms. Lightfoot. The Articles of Incorporation
for The Veteran Farm need to be changed in order to meet the requirements of NH law. Bill Chapman disagrees with Gary
Roberge’s opinion on this matter.
*** NOTICE OF SAU BUDGET HEARING: Reviewed
*** COPY OF LETTER FROM BTLA SENT TO ANDERSON: Reviewed
*** RESIGNATION OF TERRY SILLANPAA AS SUPERVISOR OF THE CHECKLIST: Mr. Yon moved to accept and send a
letter of thanks, the motion was seconded by Mr. Methe the motion passed 3-0. A letter needs to be sent to the supervisors
stating that they need to appoint a replacement.
*** COPY OF LETTER FROM CONSERVATION COMMISSION TO CONSERVANCY: The board can approve this, or a warrant
article can be placed for town meeting. Mr. Parker questioned if this benefits the town at all. Mr. Parker stated that a large
portion of this property is protected by the nature of the land, there is a large amount of swamp land. Mr. Yon would like to
write a letter to the Conservation Commission and ask them how this would benefit the town. The board would like to meet
with them to discuss this. The board would like them to put the property through their grid and compare this to other
properties in conservation easement.
*** BTLA DECISION REGARDING TERAS APPEAL: Reviewed
*** SWRPC DUES FOR 2009 (PLANNING BOARD BUDGETS THIS): Reviewed
*** COPY OF EMAIL COORESPONDENCE WITH RESIDENT: Reviewed
*** ASSESSMENT QUESTIONS/CONCERNS:
Lapan: Deed states .82 acres. This decreases the assessment by $1700.00. Mr. Yon moved to issue an abatement in
the amount of $41.00, the motion was seconded by Mr. Parker, the motion passed 3-0.
Yablonski: He states that he has deeded beach rights but they are not transferable. The board would like to discuss this
with Gary Roberge
Lilback: Ms. Lilback says the flu is in poor condition in the fireplace. The board needs more specific information as to the
condition and if it is usable.
John Fitzwilliam: We need to discuss this with Gary Roberge.
Ruth Lafreniere: Claims this is not a buildable lot.
Harold Debell: The trailer is listed as a 1990. It is actually a 1976 trailer.
Gretchen Gordon: The Planning Board combined two lots. Mr. Parker feels that the discontinued State Road runs through
*** DATE TO MEET WITH LARSON REGARDING BTLA APPEAL: The board will schedule a meeting for either December 8 or
9. Mrs. Thompson will try to schedule Leslie Lightfoot from Veteran’s Farm on the same day.
*** REVIEW ACTION ITEMS
*** LIBRARY TRUSTEE: Maggie Brogdon has agreed to fill in the open Library Trustee position. Mr. Parker moved to appoint
Mrs. Brodgon, the motion was seconded by Mr. Methe, the motion passed 3-0.
*** TOWN HALL RENTAL: Friday December 5 the Elliot Institute. Mr. Parker moved to approve, the motion was seconded by
Mr. Methe, the motion passed 3-0. The Town Hall Agent will be in charge of setting up the benches.
*** WIFI TOWER: Mrs. Thompson spoke with Attorney Paul Sanderson at Local Government Center. He stated that the town is
not a guarantor of safety and does not have any liability if they allow no fencing around this antennae. Mrs. Thompson will
type up her notes and send a copy to the Planning board.
Mr. Parker discussed the following issues;
- The State Flag missing in the front of the Town Hall. There is no light on the American Flag.
- The Elevator light is not working. This does not go all the way to the top smoothly. Mrs. Thompson stated
that we have a heater. She would like to see if this makes a difference.
- Status of PSNH survey.
- Personnel reviews – notice that they were due by November 15
- Mr. Parker would like to review job descriptions
- Letter to firewards stating we have asked for a copy of the run sheet and still have not received this to date
- Contact ambulance billing company to find out status
- Send a letter to recreation advising that we have requested Mrs. Stark to provide a break down of each program and have received no information. Mr. Methe would also like participation figures.
- Mr. Parker would like the Board to review welfare cases. Mr. Parker is concerned that the office is closed for five days and what will happen if someone needs assistance. Mrs. Thompson reviewed what vendors we use for vouchers and fuel with board. The board will review all welfare folders on a six month basis.
- Highway – Mr. Parker feels that all three Selectmen should discuss the Highway Plan with Mr. Cuomo.
- Payroll and Accounts Payable Manifests
There being no further business at 11:45 AM Mr. Yon moved to adjourn, the motion was seconded by Mr. Parker, the motion passed 3-0
Carmen Yon, Chmn.