BOARD MEETING MINUTES
March 26, 2003
Selectmen Present: Mr. Clukey, Mrs. Silverman and Mrs. Knight
Mrs. Knight convened the meeting at 7:10pm. Mrs. Silverman joined the meeting at 7:15pm.
8:00PM MEET WITH LIBRARIAN AND LIBRARY TRUSTEES
· Discuss library expansion project – Clerk of the Works
Mrs. Edwards said that they would like to save money and not hire a clerk of the works. However, they know that there are a lot of advantages to having a clerk and the library trustees, being in charge of the project, are also responsible for handling the money as well. They feel they really only need someone about 2 hours per week. There are a few people that they have approached who said they would do it but are wary of signing off on the invoices for fear of possible liability if there are problems down the road. They have been told that the kind of person who usually does this gets about $80.00 per hour. The trustees have looked at their budget and feel they only have about $2000.00 available to pay a clerk of the works for the duration of the project. The trustees wondered if could
utilize the town’s code enforcement officer. They know that the selectmen will be hiring one soon and would be willing to pay the 2 hours per week out of the library project budget. Mr. Clukey said that our code enforcement officer wouldn’t necessarily have the qualifications to do this. The town does not have building codes and the code enforcement officer only inspects setbacks etc. Mrs. Silverman said that the library trustees might have a tight budget but someone needs to sign off on the invoices. Should something not be constructed properly someone has to be accountable and we cannot pay invoices without first confirming that what we are being billed for has been done and done correctly. The trustees are looking at the end of April or beginning of May for construction to begin. The selectmen recommended that they continue to approach people to do this work. We will let the trustees know when we hire a code enforcement officer in the
event that the person we hire has the qualifications to be a clerk of the works.
*** ELECT CHAIRMAN
The selectmen discussed sharing the chairmanship by taking turns each quarter. Mrs. Silverman made a motion to elect Mr. Clukey for the first quarter, Mrs. Knight the second and Mrs. Silverman the third. They will discuss, at a later date, who will be the chairman for the last quarter prior to town meeting. Mrs. Knight seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
*** DISCUSS REQUISITIONS FOR POLICE CRUISER
Mr. Clukey moved to approve the requisitions as submitted. Mrs. Knight seconded and the motion passed 2-0.
*** REVIEW SUMMARY OF “FITZWILLIAM” FOR KEENE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE PUBLICATION
The selectmen approved the draft submitted by the Town Administrator.
*** DISCUSS/SIGN LETTER RE: POSSIBLE SEPTIC VIOLATION TAX MAP 07 LOT 07
Selectmen signed the letter.
*** REVIEW INVOICE FROM SFC
Reviewed. We are waiting for Nick Crisenti to reply. The invoice will not be paid until we have an explanation of the charges.
*** REVIEW AND DISCUSS APPLICATIONS FOR RENTAL OF TOWN HALL:
· Immaculate Heart of Mary School – Our policy is to allow town departments and town sponsored use only. Mr. Clukey made a motion to deny the application. Mrs. Silverman seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Fitzwilliam Historical Society - Mr. Clukey made a motion to approve the application. Mrs. Knight seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
*** DECIDE ON TEMPLATE FOR NEW WEB SITE
The selectmen looked at the four templates available. The board liked template #3 the best. The town administrator will let Virtual Town Hall know that this is our choice.
*** REVIEW/DISCUSS 2002 EQUALIZATION RATIO AND PLANS FOR 2003 SALES STUDY
The board discussed that the 2002 equalization ration is lower than 2001 (87.6% vs. 91%) even after implementing our revaluation. The town administrator noted that vacant land and certain styles of homes sold, on the average, for a much greater amount than they were assessed. Mrs. Thompson said that even with this equalization ratio, we still would be able to certify our assessments if we were required to do so this year.
The selectmen would like to meet with Bob McCarthy and discuss a plan to do a sales study this year. We still have concerns regarding the “antique” style and need to deal with these problems.
*** NON-PUBLIC SESSION – DISCUSS APPLICATIONS FOR ROAD AGENT
At 8:24pm, Mrs. Knight made a motion to go into Non-Public Session under RSA 91-A:3 II(a); the motion was seconded by Mr. Clukey. Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Knight - yes, Mr. Clukey - yes, Mrs. Silverman - yes.
At 8:33pm, Mrs. Knight made a motion to leave Non-Public Session; Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0. Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Knight - yes, Mr. Clukey - yes, Mrs. Silverman - yes.
*** NON-PUBLIC SESSION – DISCUSS APPLICATIONS FOR CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
At 8:34pm, Mrs. Knight made a motion to go into Non-Public Session under RSA 91-A:3 II(a); the motion was seconded by Mr. Clukey. Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Knight - yes, Mr. Clukey - yes, Mrs. Silverman - yes.
At 8:56pm, Mrs. Knight made a motion to leave Non-Public Session; Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0. Roll Call Vote: Mrs. Knight - yes, Mr. Clukey - yes, Mrs. Silverman - yes.
*** REVIEW ABATEMENT APPLICATIONS
· Robert and Katherine Hanson Tax Map 36 Lot 13 - Although Vision initially made a mistake in assessing this vacant lot has undevelopable, it is a buildable lot and has been taxed as such for many previous years. Mr. Clukey made a motion to deny the abatement application. Mrs. Silverman seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Russell and Joann Williams – Tax Map 13 Lot 04-08 – The selectmen would like Bob McCarthy to look at this property when he comes to do our pickups – sometime within the next few weeks.
· Linda Duffy – Tax Map 04 Lot 33 - The selectmen determined that the assessment for a common well on the trailer is correct. Other mobile homes of the same age as this one have 15% economic obsolesce not the 10% that is currently assessed on this one. Mr. Clukey made a motion to change the economic obsolesce on the trailer from 10% to 15%. Mrs. Knight seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Wesley Mowry – Tax Map 23 Lot 22 – Mr. Mowry had submitted a survey in January 2003 showing less acreage than we were assessing him. We reduced his assessment and his abatement application asks for the tax difference in the assessment refunded. Mrs. Silverman made a motion to approve Mr. Mowry’s application. Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Ben Hale – Tax Map 10 Lot 58 – Mr. Clukey made a motion to deny this application. Mrs. Silverman seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Samuel Lipson – Tax Map 08 Lot 16 – Mr. Lipson paid $133,000 for this property in 2002. We have it assessed for $150,540. The selectmen noted that the property has a trailer in addition to the house. Mr. Clukey made a motion to increase to economic obsolesnce from 10% to 15% to reflect what we are doing with other mobile homes of this age. Mrs. Silverman seconded and the motion passed 3-0. The town administrator noted that when the selling price of $133,000 is equalized with our 2002 ratio of 87.6%, the assessed value is almost identical. (adjusted assessment $148,740 vs equalized selling price $149,492).
· Robert and Patricia LaFave – Tax Map 07 Lot 36 – The town administrator will have assessment cards for the comparables listed on the application for the selectmen to look at next week. No action taken on the application at this time.
· William Barefoot – Tax Map 31 Lot 02 - Mrs. Knight made a motion to remove the comment “granite hearth” from the building notes. Mrs. Silverman seconded and the motion passed 3-0. Mrs. Knight stated that there was no additional value placed on the assessment for the granite hearth. The second bathroom, with a shower stall, toilet and utility sink is a ¾ bath, and we assess that the same as a full bath. Mr. Barefoot’s reason for requesting an abatement is that his property increased a greater percentage than other properties around him. This is not grounds for abatement – merely reflects that his home was more “under
assessed” than others around him. Mrs. Silverman made a motion to deny the application. Mrs. Knight seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
· Paul Webber – Tax Map 32 Lot 33 - Mrs. Silverman made a motion to remove the patio from this property. It is actually garden area. Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
*** BUILDING PERMITS:
· Fitzwilliam Library - The board approved this permit.
· Map 02 Lot 08-05 - The board approved this permit.
*** Building status of Mary Tommila’s vacant lot on Sunset Road - The board will discuss this next week after the minutes of the Planning Board meeting where this was discussed are received.
· Various committee/board minutes
· Review Police logs/reports
The selectmen signed some of the completed minutes, the accounts payable and payroll manifests and various letters.
There being no further business, at 10:10pm, Mrs. Silverman made a motion to adjourn. Mr. Clukey seconded and the motion passed 3-0.
Andrew D. Clukey, Chairman
Susan S. Silverman
Board of Selectmen